Friday, October 9, 2009

Who knew a hair tie could change the world.....

As many of you know, I started working at the R.O.C.K.. Yes I call it the ROCK because that is what it is. It is not to be called an after school program for disadvantaged kids because that is putting a bias on it. I see it as the ROCK and so do the kids so that is what we call it. It is unfair to put a bias name on such a wonderful thing. But that is besides the point. Each day that I go there, I find myself enjoying the program a little bit more and developing a personal relationship with each of the kids that are in the program. The excitement on their faces when you show up everyday for the program is really heartwarming. You find that whatever you have going on in your life, you just instantly check it at the door because of these kids. 

Today that happened to me. It was simply over a little hair tie that I had handed to a little girl named Kelly. Kelly is the most lively, energetic seven year old that you will ever meet! She looks forward to the days that ROCK comes to see her and loves every bit of it. She is very warming, loving, and she latches onto everyone if she likes you. In a way she reminds me of my little sister. 

When I arrived at ROCK today, Kelly was the first one to come up to me and yell "Miss Christina! I missed you". It just made my heart melt. The fact that this one little girl remember who I was frankly took my breath away and stole my heart. We were playing with jump ropes, balls, and other outside game toys when Kelly came to me and asked me if I would play with her. " Of course!" I replied with no hesitation. So we played a game in the court and then I had to go with the other kids. In the midst of playing with the other kids, I noticed that there was something wrong with Kelly. I couldn't help but to notice it out of the corner of my eyes. She seemed upset about something... so i approached her and we talked for a while about a lot of things. How she was feeling about playing games at ROCK, how school was, and what was wrong at the ROCK. Since the first day that I met her she has latched onto me like no other. It really gives you a sense of how much these kids just want to be loved, appreciated, and given that extra little attention. 

While chatting with Kelly, I came to find that she had made a bracelet for herself with the letters MAW on it. Now I really do not know what the letters stand for but I knew that there was some kind of significance to her bracelet or else she would not have worn it. So I made a comment about it and told her that it was very nice and asked her about it. I asked her where she got it from, how she made it, and why she had letters. She of course gave me the answers to all of the above in the full detail that a seven year old would do. She of course was thrilled to pieces. So as ROCK went on, it was getting hotter as we were playing more games and doing more activities. I had noticed that Kelly was using her bracelet as a hair tie. I asked her what was in her hair and she said that it was her bracelet. I told her that she should not waste such a pretty bracelet in her hair and I asked her if she wanted to use a hair tie because I think I may have an extra one in my pocket.

So I checked of course and found one. It was this little brown one that I had as an extra. I gave it to her and told her to put on her bracelet instead of using it as a hair tie. Her face just lit up! the fact that someone was giving her something of such little value that she could appreciate so much was so amazing!!! She let me tie her hair up and put it into a pony tail and she was so grateful for the whole thing! She told me that she was going to keep that hair tie and use it forever. That made my day. Then Joyce the girl next to Kelly asked if I had another one so that she could have one just like Kelly.... Moral of the story..... who knew that a hair tie could go such a long way and change the world. I guess it is safe to say that the next time I go into work I will be carrying a bagful of hair ties to give to each girl if they ever ask me for one so that their day can be a little bit brighter and happier all around. 

 So the next time someone asks you to borrow something or you notice that they need something, you shouldn't hesitate to help them. It is the little things in life that make others happy and someday when you are in that situation, you may just get the help from someone who doesn't know you either.  

No comments:

Post a Comment