Thursday, October 8, 2009

In Recent News......

As many of you know i graduated from college in May from Penn State University. I received my bachelors of science in Crime, Law, and Justice. Walking across that stage was one of the biggest accomplishments of my life. After walking across that stage I realized that I was becoming an actual adult. Not that I wasn't an adult before but this had justified it for me. So where do I go from here? I had left college life behind, friends behind, and a whole other experience behind. The answer? Go forward. Find something that would make me happy and something that I would really love doing. That was fairly simple and hard at the same time. I was applying for jobs left and right, I thought I had most of them in the bag but unfortunately that wasn't the case. I kept getting shot down. I thought that having a degree really matter these days. Then my ultimate dream job came along. I was able to be the coordinator/ supervisor for a program called the ROCK program. I had the opportunity of a lifetime. This job combined the two things that I really enjoyed and loved together. Crime, Law, and Justice and Juveniles. My first day with the program was the most memorable day that I have had in a long time. I spent the day with kids who didn't know who I was or what I was doing there with them in the program. They simply saw me as a person. I introduced myself to them as Miss Christina and they all brightly smiled at me (some with missing teeth) and said hello.
Then I had a moment, we were at the playground and this one little girl who had just met me grabbed my hand and held it so tightly. It was as if she had known me for the longest time. That whole time she was tightly clung to me by a hand I realized that I was making a difference in these kids lives. In every activity that we plan, in every moment that we take to talk to them about something that is happening to them in their lives, it matters. They look at my staff and I as people who actually care, who actually want to take the time to hear their concerns, as people who give them the little extra attention that they may not get at home and that is priceless. So yes, I could take my time and travel everywhere again like I did this summer like I have been doing for a long time, I could take the days that I have off from work and do something for myself and be selfish but I find that these kids are what matter the most to me. They matter the most because you are the future. So the next time that you think a child is being annoying or bothering you, just think about how they may not be getting some type of attention from home and they are just looking for that extra emotion. FTK all the way!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment